Mom and Dad introduced me to this recipe! I love it that Mom’s an experimenter! The kids were in a good curry mood so they gobbled it up too (although our little man picked out the raisins!) Serves 6-8
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3 inches long
- 2 Tbsp mango chutney
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried red lentils
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, or 1/8 cup dried
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups left-over roast beef, cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger or 1 tsp dried
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 Tbsp rice flour
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced, peeled potatoes
Put it Together:
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, 8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder and rice flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, potatoes, beef broth, lentils and cinnamon sticks. Simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes. Add the chutney, raisins, tomato, parsley, beef, salt and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes more.
3. Serve over rice and savour!
For the original recipe, see Family Curried Beef Pot Pie.